Thursday, September 18, 2008

Live to Sk8, Sk8 to Live!


Hello out there, my Husband asked me to make a card for the son of someone he works with. I’ve never met him, but I do know he’s in Gr. 9 and likes to skateboard. The only skateboard stamp I have, is this one from the ‘Whatever Floats Your Boat” set by Rupa Shevde from GinaK Designs.

I was worried this image may not be cool enough for a boy his age. My Daughter Rachel is 15, and is/was into skateboarding too, so I decided to take some ideas from her clothes & favorite store West49.

The first thing I think of when someone mentions skateboards, is the fancy boards with bold graphics, skulls & crossbones, and the roughed up worn look, so that’s pretty much how this card came to be!

The card base is black, with a layer of old olive, and a layer of riding hood red that was run through the CB with the skeleton skull EF, and then the edges were distressed. Both the green & red layers have black sponged on the edges.

The image was stamped with noir black palette onto white, & onto water colour paper. The flames were hand drawn onto the board & coloured in with SU markers. I used SU markers, ink & a Koi water brush to colour the turtle. The turtle was cut out of the water colour paper, and I added a coat of crystal effects to his shell. I made him a hat with black cardstock, and the glasses are a brad. He’s popped up. I also used big brads for the skateboard wheels.

The sentiment was stamped in riding hood red ink, & cut out with the oval nestabilities.

The finishing touch was this really cool leather from offray that I found in a discount bin! See I knew I could use it some day!

So that’s my story! I hope he likes it!

Have a Great Day!

Laurie

2 comments:

Carolyn King said...

oh that is super cute!!!

Melanie said...

ha ha!!!!!!! awesome!! aweosme pimp my ride!